top of page

Residency Information

Residency Information for Tuition Purposes

Adult students (over age 18) may establish residence for tuition purposes if they are:

  • a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or other non-citizen who is not precluded from establishing a domicile in the United States; and

  • they meet the criteria described in the UC Residence Policy Guidelines.

Students who do not qualify as California residents must pay a Nonresident Supplemental Tuition Fee in addition to all other fees (see graduate Fees and Expenses). The residence determination date is the day instruction begins at the last of the University of California campuses to open for the quarter.

Please visit the Registrar's page on residency for more information.

AB 540 Applicants

Applicants who meet AB 540 requirements will initially be classified as non-resident, international applicants.


Upon admission, they can choose to file the AB 540 tuition exemption form with the Registrar's Office ( to be considered for the in-state exemption.


Applicants should answer the residency questions in the application accurately:

  • Are you a citizen of the United States? No

  • Are you a Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) of the United States of America? No

  • In what country do you hold citizenship? <select country>

  • Do you expect to be awarded Permanent Resident status in the United States prior to September 24? No

  • Do you currently hold a US visa? No

Financial Support for AB 540 Students


Fellowships available to AB 540 graduate students includes any support offered through state funding. For example:

  • Regent's Fellowships, as determined by graduate departments

  • Eugene Cota-Robles Fellowships, as awarded by Graduate Division

  • Chancellor's Fellowships, as awarded by Graduate Division

  • Dissertation Year Fellowships, as awarded by Graduate Division


AB 540 applicants are also encouraged to contact Valeria Chavez-Ayala in The AB 540 Student Services Program for information about scholarship opportunities. 


More information about AB 540 is posted at the University of California's website, as well as information regarding the California Dream Act.

bottom of page